Tuesday, March 22, 2016

“Males Are Less Traumatized than Females”

I wonder how many people have written or spoken words like that. They parrot the idea that females are more emotional and more damaged than males. They don’t produce any evidence, but make strong assertions.

Societal climate is more open to females writing and speaking about their sexual assaults. (Check Amazon.com and see for yourself.)

This much seems obvious to me; however, we males are more severely damaged by society’s reluctance to accept our victimization. We’re afraid of being called gay, sissy, or being judged as being less than male.

Thus many of us tough it out and remain silent. By not speaking up, we don’t have to face taunts and pointing fingers. But we also miss healthy affirmation, sympathy, and acceptance.

And why does it have to be a comparison between the genders? Shouldn’t it be enough to say, “I am a survivor of sexual assault that stole my innocence”?

I’m not concerned about proving I was more traumatized than a female. I am concerned about admitting my deep-seated pain and recovering. The more we males speak up, the more we push others to accept us.

In 1990, I heard a scholar insist that boys were not abused. Does anyone still hold to that? We’re making progress. And it’s up to us, the survivors, to gain acceptance by speaking out.

The more I face my abuse, the more I heal;
the more I speak about my abuse, the more I help other men to heal.

* * * * *

Are there questions or specific topics you'd like Cec to address in upcoming blog entries? If so, please send an email to his assistant at the following address: cecilmurphey(at)mchsi(dot)com.

1 comment:

Roger Mann said...

I think it is insulting to form an comparison as to who is more injured in CSA. It all hurts and it hurts all. We have some similarities in the effects but we have some noteworthy differences. We can't get pregnant and that's about the ONLY major difference in effects. How men deal with their abuse is sometimes different because of the stigma of being raped. We are less vocal about it but I am hoping that changes and it seems like it might.

What I have found strange is that sometimes men who have been abused are less compassionate towards women. I found that odd but it may be due to over compensating the shame. I don't know. For me it at first seemed so different but I now realize it isn't. It still strikes deep into the soul and identity of each of us and that harm can last a life time.