Tuesday, June 8, 2021

 My wife and I were watching a movie last night called Mistic River. It was painful to watch and had a rather bad ending and I found myself upset and disturbed after for a while. This happens every once in a while. I've been doing some reading and research on human trafficking too which doesn't help. Still, I want to educate myself on this stuff and what to look for. I have grandchildren now that are in the at risk demographic for being kidnapped and sold and it haunts me. I remember my youngest boy age 9 wandering off from my backyard in Long Beach, CA one day. The panic was awful but he was found safely twenty minutes later watching a neighbor working on his car.  

I've never been stolen away although back in the day kids were pretty safe in most areas. I was sent to others' homes a couple of times for "play" but came back with no trouble as they were friends of my dad.

Still, it brings back uncomfortable memories. If other stuff happened I don't remember and that's probably a good thing. There's a lot of my childhood I can't remember and I'm ok with that given the alternative. I've had enough nightmares to last me for the rest of my life. 

I think God watched over me and protected me a lot back then. That's what I pray for my grandchildren too. I had bad stuff happen but I know it could have been much worse. If it was worse and I can't remember, that's another reason I'm reluctant to do any more therapy. 

While I'm dealing well I guess with all this right now I'm sad that the world is getting so much worse for kids. You just can't let them out of your sight anymore it seems. Still, there is a lot of people going after these scumbags that prey on children and that's encouraging. God bless them all. 

Just my thoughts

1 comment:

David said...

Thanks for sharing. Your perspective helps me. I too remember some. And not other. Take care. David