Friday, September 3, 2010

Write a Letter

Some experts suggest writing a letter to your abuser, whether the person is living or dead. They don't suggest you send it, only write it.

My advice: If it helps, do it. Try it and if you find yourself unable to complete it, be kind to yourself and say, "This doesn't work for me."

Others have suggested speaking into a tape recorder. Write in your journal. A friend named Greg used to hike in the mountains and when he was fairly sure no one was around, he screamed and shouted at his perpetrator. It worked for Greg because he said, "I got it out of my system."

What works for you?

1 comment:

Gary said...

I found writing letters to be very helpful. I wrote one to both of my abusers. It allowed me to "say it all." It was good to get it out. I also wrote a letter to myself from God about the whole thing, and then actually mailed it to myself. Somehow, that had a great impact.