Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Being Healed

Abuse causes most of us to end up with little self-esteem (although some become braggarts or bullies to hide the truth). Because we were overpowered as children, control is often a big issue for us as adults—fighting for it or surrendering to those who threaten us by their words or presence.

Because someone we trusted betrayed us, many of us are slow or unable to trust others. We may freeze when someone unexpectedly touches us. Some of us slide into substance abuse to deaden the pain. Sexual dysfunction is common.

That's not an exhaustive list, but I mention them because they're symptoms of long-term issues. Even to be aware of them isn't a cure, but it's like a doctor analyzing our disease and prescribing the medicine.

I'm not quite healed, but I am being healed.

1 comment:

Heather Marsten said...

Control is a big issue for me - I couldn't control others, but I could keep a tight grip on myself - little realizing that it made me miss out on a lot of life's joys.

All the other areas you mention affected me too.

I love that you are being healed. So am I - it is a remarkable journey. I am coming to believe that God will really destroy what the locusts ate.

I love you site and have received much from it.