Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Truth and Trauma

(This post is from Tom Scales of VoiceToday.org. It was published on their blog in a slightly different form.)

I woke up this morning and it was there again. Over the 60 years since my sexual abuse started it has happened many times, although less frequently as my healing has taken place.

I refer to the sensation of being sodomized. It is one of the reminders of uglier times.

For decades the sensation triggered fear, anxiety, rage, and an appetite for vengeance. Today I feel none of those, only a renewed commitment to my participation in programs to protect children and help adults heal form the evil of childhood sexual abuse.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for your passion for this subject and I grieve for everyone who has been sexually abused.

Currently, I am producing a short film called Strong Men that deals with this very issue, and tells it from survivors of being abused on a high school wrestling team. Eventually we'll make it into a feature film.

I'd love to share it with you. If you want more information, check out strongmenfilm.com

Heather Marsten said...

Dear Tom,
Thank you for sharing. I can feel the raw pain in your post. I am glad you're healing and that the pain is happening less frequently. My pastor promised me that after a time, with God's help, my memories would be just that - memories - not laced with intense emotions. I can now take my memories down and use them to help others, but they don't have the hold the once had. I pray this healing for you and others who are hurt so bad by abuse.

God bless you.
Heather