Tuesday, February 20, 2018

I Dreamed

(This comes from an anonymous reader.)

I awake to a memory of a girl I worked with. Can’t remember how it came up, but she was bragging that she couldn’t be raped because being limber she could cross her legs and lock them so no one could spread them. I just shook my head and walked away, remembering my arms locked around my legs, my knees under my chin lying on my back.

I don’t remember the pain. I do remember the smells: sweat, Old Spice, and poop. I remember the shock of cold as I was cleaned up. I remember using a bar of soap and hot water on the cloth in the morning so no one would see what was on it. I remember using the same cleaning technique on underwear when necessary. I remember telling myself it didn’t happen.

There are things I’ve locked away in a dark corner of my mind never to be remembered. Things I promised to take to my grave. But some things won’t stay. Truth can set you free, but it can also break your heart over and over. So what does one do with such things?

I write them out, trying to get them out. I try not to be numb about it, but I’m afraid. I’m afraid that if I let myself feel I’ll be unable to stop the tears ever.



.

1 comment:

Daniel said...

Oh, yes. How very, very true. The truth does set us free and it also causes great pain. And, in dealing with it, the tears do come. Fast, unbidden. Often. I know--I've been there, AM there!

God bless you, anonymous writer. Know that, in dealing with it there is pain and tons of tears. But there is also redemption and freedom. I feel like I am starting to breath for the first time in my life.

Feeling for you here.