Tuesday, January 12, 2016

What I Don't Know

I don't know the answers to every problem—even though I may sound as if I do. I don’t understand why some of us gain victory almost immediately and for others it takes years. I don't know why some male survivors fall back in their old patterns and some never do.

I wish I could give perfect answers to every dilemma and shine a bright light on every dark path. I don't always have enough light for my own path. Even when I know the answer for myself, I sometimes fail to live up to my convictions.

I do know this, however. It’s shameful to admit we’ve failed, especially after we’ve determined not to repeat our wrong behavior. And that can refer to anything that impedes our progress.

Almost as bad is to fail and deny it. We're ashamed and try to hide the fact. Or we make excuses for ourselves by blaming circumstances or saying, "Yes, but if he hadn't . . . " Such negative responses mean we by-pass a chance for healing.

Admitting each tiny step in the wrong direction 
can be one positive, 
small-but-powerful step toward full recovery. 

(This post was adapted from Not Quite Healed, written by Cecil Murphey and Gary Roe.)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

"Almost as bad is to fail and deny it. We're ashamed and try to hide the fact. Or we make excuses for ourselves by blaming circumstances or saying, "Yes, but if he hadn't . . . " Such negative responses mean we by-pass a chance for healing."

And that's a lesson I am still learning. It's hard for me to admit I'm wrong. I can apologize but I have to bite my tongue to keep from defending myself. Pride I guess and I come by it honestly; thanks dad. I struggle, but find it difficult to admit it. I fail at times, sometimes several times in a row but am more inclined to hide it. I'm not really sure what I'm afraid of. If it's pride then why? I have nothing to be proud of.

Work in progress I suppose but the work is slow.