Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Inside Out: Hope for Men Who Have Been Abused (Part 2 of 2)

Kurt Goff of Family Life interviewed Cecil Murphey in January. He gave us permission to share his blog post and a few comments from listeners. See the previous post to read what Kurt Goff had to say.

To listen to the podcast of the interview, visit the Family Life website at this address: http://www.fln.org/sermon/inside-out-hope-for-men-who-have-been-abused/


Here are a few more listener comments:

(From Anonymous Wife) THANK YOU, this is such a challenging subject and so hard to find resources on. Praise God, this is such a great answer to years of praying and struggling with this exact issue.

(From Bruce Hughes) I recently finished writing my own story of childhood abuse and telling about my journey to victory from the years of pain. I was amazed at the similarities between Cecil's descriptions and my own. I never thought that I should talk about it, but now that I have I find it hard to stop. God's grace has overwhelmed me and given me a new outlook on life. I too hope to be able to share with others the great relief I have found through my healing.

(From Sarah) Thank you, Cecil for sharing your story and thank you, Kurt for posting this interview. I heard a tidbit on the radio on my way to work this morning and my heart broke for these men. With abuse in my past as well, I thought back to the first few times I shared parts of my story with friends at slumber parties and such. A bunch of girls whispering in a room, stepping out gingerly with our pain-filled memories. But we supported each other and I soon learned I wasn't alone. I thought about my brothers and other male friends and realized that opportunities like that are far more unlikely for men to come by. Men aren't eager to be vulnerable with one another like women are. I don't know what I would have done if I couldn't have talked about my past. I hope and pray that things like this will open doors for men to be able to speak and support one another over similar issues. God bless!

No comments: