Friday, February 11, 2011

Stan's Story

Stan W. posted the following message on his blog on Saturday, February 5. He gave us permission to share it here. (http://stanspoint.blogspot.com/2011/02/when-man-you-love-was-abused-by-cecil.html)


The subject of sexual abuse is a topic that is difficult to talk about for a man and even to admit that it happened, takes courage. This video is posted on Cecil Murphey's blog. In his blog he talks about his own abuse and also posts the stories of other men as they process what occurred in their own lives.

For a long time I found that talking about what I remembered about my own sexual abuse seemed like I was telling someone else's story. I knew it was real but over the years I had learned to be numb inside. My feelings were numb and my desire to love and trust were something I had difficulty embracing. Even being remotely close to a woman brought on a desire to keep my distance in the fear that I would not be safe. Even now it is still hard to put into words how I 'feel' in these areas I have mentioned. Getting past the past is something I face each day, some days easier and some days not so easy.

I am so thankful that I can lean on God who I know is carrying me and has carried me through so much turmoil concerning things such as sexual abuse. God has given me a resilience inside to get up when I have felt at the bottom. I really want to pray for other men who face such challenges when confronted with sexual abuse in their own lives. I know how it feels and we shouldn't have to feel alone.

Lord Jesus, help my brothers who have been sexually abused. Help them to know that they are not alone, that they can be free to talk about it, to tell someone. Help them to see that they are loved, that they are worth every effort to be whole, that they can be free from the past. Amen.

No comments: