Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Intentional Forgiveness

(This post comes from D. Petree.)

I experienced sexual abuse and many other offenses over my lifetime that required forgiveness. We all need to forgive and to be forgiven.

I've learned that forgiveness is a choice.

How do I let it go?

After my divorce, I stumbled on the answer. I was angry but knew I needed to forgive. I did the only thing I knew to do: I prayed for my spouse.

The prayer was short and simple; the results were astounding. Bitterness, anger, and resentment dissipated. I knew I had discovered something wonderful. I call it God's Roto-Rooter.

When I need to forgive, I put two things into practice. For me, they've worked every time.

1. Express your pain and anger openly to God.

2. Speak compassionately to the offenders about what they've done. By speaking in a kind way, you may also open the door for repentance on their part.

There's a bright light at the end of the forgiveness tunnel. Freedom can be yours.

1 comment:

Heather Marsten said...

My parents (my abusers) died before I was at a point of realizing I needed to forgive them. I forgave them anyway. It took a long time and I had to let God in to help me do it, but forgiveness freed me.

I think it is also important to forgive, even if the recipient doesn't respond, doesn't care, won't change, or ignores the hurt they caused. Forgiveness is very selfish - it frees us and it has nothing to do with the other person.

Sadly some people tramp all over our lives and could care less the damage they cause. They are the hardest to forgive, but oh the freedom that comes from forgiving is worth it!!!

God bless you.