I hurt for a long time because of childhood sexual abuse. Now I want to provide a safe place for hurting men to connect with other survivors of sexual abuse. Talk to us. You don't have to use your real name to share your experiences or ask questions.

I Like Who I Am

(By Cecil Murphey)

The first time I said aloud (and meant the words), "I like who I am," it was a shock. I spoke those words when I was on my normal, early morning run.

"I like who I am."

The words felt right. I did like myself. I repeated the sentence several times and smiled. I had been on my healing journey about a decade before I made that simple declaration. That was one of the powerful moments in my recovery. I'm still learning to appreciate who I am and to enjoy being Cec Murphey.

Since then, here's the sentence I say aloud every morning: "I like who I am, I like who I used to be, and I like who I am becoming."

The words were a long time in coming, but they're true and they express the deep self-love and self-appreciation each of us needs.

I like who I am; 
I'm growing in my self-appreciation.

(This post is adapted from Not Quite Healed, written by Cecil Murphey and Gary Roe.)

No comments: