Tuesday, December 26, 2017

An Email from James

The following is an email I received from James Fitzwater in response to the post titled “Naming Myself.” James gave me permission to share his words. (Cec)

* * * * *

Hi, I’m James.

Almost 5 years ago, my wife and I had come to a terrible place in our relationship. I was incapable of developing intimacy. In my mind I blamed her for her disagreeable attitude. Things were spiraling downhill fast as among other things she threatened divorce, left me and the kids a few times, and occasionally slept in the closet. As I tried to understand her behavior, it was suggested that she might have a personality disorder. I became convinced that this was the problem and sought pastoral counseling. When she ran across my email and found out that I had labeled her with a mental illness, she became angrier.

My wife was convinced that I was gay and wanted me to tell her what was going on with me. One night she was determined to get an answer, and under threat of divorce hours into the night—turning lights on and off and throwing water on me—I broke down and confessed that I was sexually abused. I felt relieved to not be in denial, or having to keep my secret any longer.

It has been a long journey of seeking help, joining and leaving a survivor’s group, CR, marriage counseling, and still having significant moral failures before a divorce this year. Now I realize my wife’s issues were primarily brought on by my issues. Beginning in June of this year with Not Quite Healed, I began a real recovery journey finally surrendering to Jesus. Now I’m in therapy, a sex addicts group, Celebrate Recovery, and a home Bible study group.

Sharing my story has been very difficult, the consequences of my sins almost unbearable, but those steps were necessary to get me on a healing journey. They were a tremendous grace extended to me. I am grateful for the mercy I’ve received, the strength to make changes, and the hope that I now have. Taking it one day at a time.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

James, thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

The strange part about this blog is you know me only as anonymous but you know my heart, my fears, my past, my struggles more than people who know my name. Thanks for being here for me.

Daniel said...

Been praying for you, Anonymous. What you write is true. I think I have the closest and best of friends to be had anywhere. They are everything I could hope for and have walked this road with me. I am counting my blessings. So glad I am not alone. God bless you.

Daniel said...

James, you have been waking a difficult road. I am truly sorry for everything you've been through but so glad you are on the path to healing. May the Lord continue His blessings upon you.

Roger Mann said...

Thank you James, we need to read stories like this. The bring hope to a sometimes bleak looking future. This is a difficult journey and a very lonely one at times so hope is a very precious find. God bless you and your family.

Anonymous said...

When life hits you with a challenge out of the blue, do you want to quit or dig in? I have the inclination to quit and give up, I beat myself down. I'm tired of always punishing myself. I'm choosing to dig in and fight. God please help me fight this battle. I know I am always asking for prayer and today I am asking again. I have given this situation to God, but I keep on taking it back. Please pray that I trust in the Lord to take care of this. Thank you

Homeward Bound said...

I am new to this blog and encouraged by what I have read here. Perhaps the time has come for me to deal more openly with others regarding my own journey of dealing with the issue of child sexual abuse. Thank you, Cecil, for affording that opportunity to men who often do not know where to turn or who to talk to.

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the blog, homeward bound.