Friday, May 18, 2012

Lies I've Believed (Part 2 of 5)

(This blog post comes from Gary Roe.)

Lie #2: "I'm Unlovable."

The basic lie I believed as a result of my abuse was I’m alone. Following closely is the companion lie, I’m unlovable.

I’m alone. Nobody loves me. Nobody really cares. If they really cared, they wouldn’t have abused me. Because they abused me, there must be something deeply wrong with me. I’m wrong. I’m unlovable. That’s why it happened.

This bothers me because I have the expectation that everyone should like me. Everybody should love me. I’m shocked when they don’t. So I unconsciously set myself up to feel rejected. When someone doesn’t like me, it proves the lie is actually the truth. When I get criticized, rejected, or ignored, see there, it’s just like I thought. Nobody loves me because I’m unlovable.

The truth? God loves me perfectly. People love me imperfectly. And there are people who love me. Not everyone will love or like me. To expect this is to invite disappointment.

At times, I may feel like no one loves me—like I’m unlovable. But if God loves me, that means I’m lovable. I’m glad feelings are not facts.

I now believe I’m lovable. I’m learning to live that out. 

No comments: