Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Lies I've Believed

(This post comes from Gary Roe.)


Lie #1: "I'm Alone."

We all have lies we believe, some as a result of the sexual abuse we endured. In my case, the most powerful and basic one is that I’m alone.

The abuse happened in early childhood. My only sibling was already in college. I had no friends my age. Some of the people designated to nurture and protect me were perpetrators. Secrecy was the name of the game. I was isolated. Alone.

I felt alone, and I bought the lie. I created a rich, internal fantasy world in order to survive. I grew quiet and compliant. I began to live out I’m alone.

The truth, of course, is that I’m not alone. God is always with me. There are people who are very involved in my life and want to be. I’m far from alone.

But it’s also true that I feel alone at times. I may feel like no one understands or cares. I’m glad feelings are not facts.

I have a constant companion who wants to be with me. He defines me, not the abuse I endured. I’m victorious when I live the truth I’m not alone.

I no longer believe I’m alone. I’m learning to live that way.

No comments: